Thursday 27 January 2011

Are You a Leader?


It's the second part of our micro leadership course.


Last week I was at Band Camp improving my music skills (I got a Bass Guitar for Christmas!!). I was also working on my communication and leadership skills.  Even when jamming, a direction is needed, support of the others is invaluable, and as a bass player sometimes all I do is play a boring two notes over and over (and over and over...) but this lays the foundation for others to build on.

Your work is probably the same. For this week, your three leadership skills are:

Own it – With great responsibility comes great power.  Taking ownership of a situation gives you the power to improve it or get out of it. Sitting around acting helpless keeps you in it.

Listen – We have 2 ears and 1 mouth so use them in that ratio. So often we are busy telling others what we think that we miss out on their valuable input. We also leave them feeling unheard and demotivated.

Decide – Make decisions. Even the wrong decision is better than no decision. A decision leads to movement and action. This will lead to a result.  If it is not the right result, change your decision.

Enjoy


PS The Picture is from www.warwickbass.com  A German company that makes Bass Guitars with my name on them. How cool!

No comments: