Monday 28 November 2011

What's The Risk?

On Sunday, the choir that I sing with, Mood Swing, performed at a memorial service for people who had died in the workplace. It is always a privilege to be part of this service and always disturbing to realise how fragile life is.


It made me think of the risks that people take in the work place. I have seen trades people working on a roof without safety barriers or safety harness. As a kid I recall jumping on and off moving tractors while feeding out hay. Plenty of people in offices have stood on swivel chairs with no support as they reach for something on top of the cabinet. Some of the risks we take can have severe consequences but take the risk anyway without thinking about it.


When it comes to financial risk, we are usually vigilant about minimising it. When it comes to our health and state of being, we seem to be willing to take significant risks.  Don't get me wrong, I am not saying "NEVER take a risk", I am saying "minimise and manage your risks". A life without risks is restrictive and detrimental, but suffering from unnecessary risks is foolish.


So in what you are doing, what's the risk? More importantly, how will you manage it and minimise it.

No comments: