Thursday 4 November 2010

What about Me?

Something funny happened on the weekend.

As usual, Wifey and I use shampoo.  Recently we bought some new shampoo and started using it. A couple of days later, Wifey asked, "What do you think of the new shampoo?"

Personally, I don't use a great deal of shampoo.  It probably has something to do with the fact that I am balding (but I am still in denial about it).  So I mentioned this to Wifey and also that I was not that fussed about.


Her response, "I meant what do you think about the new shampoo in my hair!"


Ooops!!


I should have realised that.  She does have resplendent hair that cascades halfway down her back (mine is just back hair).  But I was too focussed on myself.  I wasn't considering the intent of her comment.  Based on the number of conversations we have never had about my hair versus the ones we have had about hers, I should have known it was not about me.


What about you?


When you communicate, are you more concerned about yourself or those you are communicating with?  

Do you listen to what the other person is saying and trying to say or is your focus on what you want to say?
Is your focus on the conversation or on reaching the mutual sought outcome?


I'd type more, but I need to go and attend to my hair!

No comments: