Wednesday 7 October 2009

Mum on a Motorbike

I gave my mum a lift home from the city yesterday.

There is nothing unusual about that. People do it all the time. But my mum lives in a sleepy town with a population of about 2,000 and traffic is not usually that busy. She was visiting me in Melbourne, population about 4 million and peak hour is.... well.... messy at times!! Not only that, but I ride a motorbike. Granted, it is a big one, but it means you are much closer to the large semi-trailers than you are when in the car.

So there we were zooming home on the bike, me on the front hoping everyone would know I had my mum on the back so they should give way, and my 67 year old mum on the back grinning like a cheshire cat. She had a ball! In fact, she liked it so much that after we got home, we got back on the bike and went for another ride to the pub for dinner.

As much as I like bragging about my mum, the point of this is don't let invisibile boundaries stop you from doing things. When I mentioned to people I was giving mum a lift home many people on my clients site said things like: "ooo... is that a good idea?", "your mum? Really?" even other motorbike riders were saying "I am not sure I would do that." At what age do you get "too old" to do things? Too mature, too tall, too many responsibilities, too serious, too risky, too (insert relevant word here)??

Life is to be lived. Don't let what other think hold you back.

Enjoy

Warwick Merry
The Get More Guy

No comments: