Monday 26 October 2009

What is Your Perspective?

Perspective can have such a significant impact on how we see a situation.



I live in Melbourne where we have Trams as a form of public transport. When I am in a tram, I want all the cars and pedestrians to get out of my way because they slow me down and I just want to keep moving. When I am in a car, I want the tram to go away because I have to stop more, the traffic is slower and pedestrians just step out on to the road - they slow me down and I just want to keep moving. When I am a pedestrian, I want all traffic (be they car, bus, tram, motorbike or pushbike) to get out of my way because they don't consider me and get in my way - they slow me down and I just want to keep moving.


When I shift my perspective, my journey becomes more pleasant. When I'm in my car, if I recall how I feel when I'm on the tram or a pedestrian, I become more considerate. The same thing happens when I'm a pedestrian or on the tram considering how I feel when I am on the other modes of transport. My situation is still the same, but a shift in perspective makes the situation more pleasant and somehow it seems quicker and less draining.

What about you? What situation do you need to change your perspective on? Is it dealing with your kids, your partner, your boss, your colleagues, your pets, that guy at the train station, the person selling Big Issue magazines, or maybe it is how you relate to yourself? What is your perspective?

Enjoy!

Warwick Merry
The Get More Guy

Photo: Joe Armao

No comments: